Colorado Voter Information

Facts At A Glance

Registration Deadline: October 29th (online or by mail) or November 6th (at a voter registration drive)


Do First Time Voters Need ID?


Do All Voters Need ID?


Complete Colorado Voter ID Laws

Do 1st time voters need ID? Yes
Do all voters need ID? Yes
Student ID accepted? Yes


What forms of ID are acceptable?

  • A valid Colorado driver’s license
  • A valid identification card issued by the Department of Revenue
  • A valid U.S. passport
  • A valid employee identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector issued by any branch, department, agency, or entity of the United States government or of this state, or by any county, municipality, board, authority, or other political subdivision of this state
  • A valid pilot’s license issued by the federal aviation administration or other authorized agency of the United States
  • A valid U.S. military identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector (may have an out of state address)
  • A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the elector.  Where a document must be current it means that the date of the document is within 60 days of the date submitted for identification unless the document states a longer billing cycle. For example:
    • A cable bill or telephone bill
    • Documentation from a public institution of higher education in Colorado containing at least the name, date of birth, and legal residence address of the student elector
    • A paycheck from a government institution or private company
    • A Certificate of Degree of Indian or Alaskan Native Blood.
  • A valid Medicare or Medicaid card issued by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (formerly the United States Health Care Financing Administration)
  • A certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate for the elector issued in the United States
  • Certified documentation of naturalization
  • A valid veteran identification card issued by the United States department of veterans affairs veterans health administration with a photograph of the eligible elector
  • A valid identification card issued by a federally recognized tribal government certifying tribal membership
  • A letter from an administrator of a group residential facility certifying that the elector is a resident of the facility
  • Student ID: A valid student identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector issued by an institute of higher education in Colorado.

If you do not have ID, you may cast a Provisional Ballot.