California Voter Info

The general election is Nov 3, 2020
California, here’s all the info you need to know!

The Rona will not pause the revolution. Get the facts.

Important Dates to know, California!

New Voter Registration Deadline

Received by Tue Oct 26, 2021

Absentee Ballot Request Deadline

Online by Mon Oct 18, 2021

Early Voting

We're currently updating our database to include this information. Pledge to vote and you'll receive updates when this information becomes available.

Can I Vote by Mail? (Absentee)

Postmarked by Tue Nov 2, 2021
Post received by Fri Nov 5, 2021
Hand Delivered by Tue Nov 2, 2021 8:00PM PDT
Received by Tue Oct 26, 2021

Any registered California voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.

Am I eligible to register to vote?

You are eligible to vote in California if you:
  • Are a U.S citizen
  • Are a resident of California
  • Are at least 18 years old by Election Day
You are NOT eligible to vote in California if:
  • You have been legally declared "mentally incompetent" by a court
  • You are in prison or detention or jail or penal institution
  • You are on parole for a felony conviction or convicted of a felony
You may preregister to vote in California
  • At the age 16
Service members and their dependents may register and request a ballot using the federal voter registration/ballot request form ("FPCA"). You will have the following identification options when completing the form:
  • U.S. State or Territory or District Issued ID
  • Option to Indicate that you do not have the Requested ID
  • Last 4 Digits of your Social Security Number
U.S. citizens living abroad have the right to vote as absentee voters, provided they are eligible to vote in their state. If you are living outside of the U.S. permanently, indefinitely, or temporarily, your voting rights stay with you, even if you never voted when you lived in the U.S. To vote from overseas:
  • Complete and send an overseas voter registration/ballot request form to your election office in the U.S. This is one specific form that will register you as an overseas voter and request your absentee ballot – simultaneously.

Can I vote if I have a record?

Individuals convicted of a felony are ineligible to vote while incarcerated and on parole. Voting rights are automatically restored upon completion of parole, and people on probation can vote. For more details on the rules in California, please review this State of California resource.

I am a college student. Where do I register to vote?

California defines voting residency as “domicile.” Domicile includes the place where your habitation is fixed and you have “the intention of remaining.” Your choice to make a place your domicile or residence is key in determining your residency for voting. The Secretary of State has made clear that students can choose between their school addresses and their parents’ homes when deciding where to register to vote. California courts and the Attorney General have also made clear that if you move residences each school year and you cannot establish a new residence in time to register to vote (you do not have housing yet, for instance), you can vote at your previous school-year address.

Will I need ID?

To register to vote in California you should provide:
  • Last Four Digits of your Social Security Number
  • Your California Driver's License or State/non-driver ID Number
If you are registering to vote for the first time by mail, you will need to provide a copy of a valid ID. Acceptable forms of ID include:
  • Valid Photo ID
  • Utility Bill, Bank Statement, Government Check, or Paycheck that Shows your current name and address
  • Government Issued Document that shows your current name and address
If you registered to vote in California, you may be required to present valid photo ID if you are voting for the first time or your registration is incomplete. You can use any ID from this list:
  • Valid US Passport
  • Insurance Plan ID Card
  • Public Housing ID Card
  • Health Club ID Card
  • Valid Employee ID
  • Valid California Driver's License
  • Valid Student ID
  • Out of State Driver's License or Non-driver ID
  • Valid Military ID
  • Debit or Credit Card
  • Valid California Issued ID
  • Valid Commercial ID
If you do not have an ID from the above list, in California additional, acceptable forms of ID include:
  • Certificate of Vehicle Ownership
  • Discharge Certificates, Pardons or other Similar Documents Issued to you by a Government Agency
  • Lease or rental statement or agreement Issued by a Government Agency
  • Government Check
  • Sample Ballot mailed to you
  • Voter notification or confirmation card
  • Current Utility Bill
  • ID Issued by a Government Disability Agency
  • Insurance Plan or Discount Drug Plan Card Issued by a Government Agency
  • Property Tax Statement
  • A Government Issued Document that shows your Current Name and Address
  • Bank Statement
  • Other Official Elections Document
  • Valid California Vehicle Registration
  • University Tuition Bill Issued by a Government Agency
  • Public Transportation Authority Senior Discounted Fare ID Card
  • Identification Documents Issued by Government Homeless Shelters or Other Facilities
  • Government Paycheck
  • Drug prescription Issued by a Government Doctor or Health Care Provider

The info on this page is for:

California Voter Info

If you want info for a different state or U.S. territory, go here