Hawaii Voter Info

The general election is Nov 3, 2020
Hawaii, here’s all the info you need to know

The Rona will not pause the revolution. Get the facts.

Important Dates to know, Hawaii!

New Voter Registration Deadline

Tue Oct 27, 2020

Absentee Ballot Request Deadline

Mon Oct 5, 2020

Early Voting

Election Day Registration + Early Voting Tue Oct 20, 2020
Election Day Registration + Early Voting Mon Nov 2, 2020

Can I Vote by Mail? (Absentee)

Received by Tue Nov 3, 2020
Tue Oct 27, 2020

Any registered voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.

Am I eligible to register to vote?

You are eligible to vote in Hawaii if you:
  • Are a U.S citizen
  • Are a resident of Hawaii
  • Are at least 18 years old by Election Day
Restorative Requirements
  • You are a convicted felon involving moral turpitude, unless your voting rights have been restored.
You may preregister to vote in Hawaii
  • At the age 16
Service members and their dependents may register and request a ballot using the federal voter registration/ballot request form ("FPCA"). You will have the following identification options when completing the form:
  • U.S. State or Territory or District Issued ID
  • Option to Indicate that you do not have the Requested ID
  • Complete Social Security Number
U.S. citizens living abroad have the right to vote as absentee voters, provided they are eligible to vote in their state. If you are living outside of the U.S. permanently, indefinitely, or temporarily, your voting rights stay with you, even if you never voted when you lived in the U.S. To vote from overseas:
  • Complete and send an overseas voter registration/ballot request form to your election office in the U.S. This is one specific form that will register you as an overseas voter and request your absentee ballot – simultaneously.

Can I vote if I have a record?

Individuals incarcerated for a felony conviction are ineligible to vote. Voting rights are automatically restored upon release from prison, and people on parole or probation can vote. Ex-offenders should re-register to vote.

I am a college student. Where do I register to vote?

Students who lived in Hawaii before moving to another state for school, and who wish to establish or keep their Hawaii voting residency (i.e. at the parents’ address), should have no problem doing so unless they have already registered to vote in another state. Students who have a present intent to make Hawaii their permanent home can establish residency in their college communities. The Secretary of State’s office has also stated that a present intent to make Hawaii your residence is sufficient to establish residency for voting purposes. Residency for voting equals domicile in Hawaii. Under Hawaiian law, your voting residence is your fixed, permanent home, the place where you intend to return after being away. To gain Hawaiian residency for elections, you must move to the state with the dual intention of abandoning your former home and establishing a permanent home in Hawaii.

Will I need ID?

To register to vote in Hawaii you should provide:
  • Your Hawaii Driver's License or State ID Number (online applicants only)
  • Your Social Security Number
If you are registering to vote for the first time by mail, you will need to provide a copy of a valid ID. Acceptable forms of ID include:
  • Current and Valid Photo ID
  • Utility Bill, Bank Statement, Government Check, or Paycheck that Shows your current name and address
  • Government Issued Document that shows your current name and address
If you registered to vote in Hawaii, you may be required to present valid ID if you are voting for the first time or your registration is incomplete. You can use any ID from this list:
  • Current and Valid Photo ID
If you do not have an ID from the above list, in Hawaii additional, acceptable forms of ID include:
  • Current Utility Bill
  • Paycheck that Shows your Name and Address
  • A Government Issued Document that shows your Current Name and Address
  • Government Check
  • Bank Statement

The info on this page is for:

Hawaii Voter Info

If you want info for a different state or U.S. territory, go here