Montana Voter Info

The general election is Nov 3, 2020
Montana, here’s all the info you need to know!

The Rona will not pause the revolution. Get the facts.

Important Dates to know, Montana!

New Voter Registration Deadline

Mon Nov 2, 2020 12:00PM MST

Absentee Ballot Request Deadline

Mon Oct 26, 2020

Early Voting

No information available, please check back later.

Can I Vote by Mail? (Absentee)

Received by Tue Nov 3, 2020 8:00PM MST
Mon Nov 2, 2020 12:00PM MST

Any registered voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.

Am I eligible to register to vote?

You are eligible to vote in Montana if you:
  • Are a U.S citizen
  • Are a resident of Montana
  • Are at least 18 years old by Election Day
  • Have been a state resident for at least 29 days prior to the election
You are NOT eligible to vote in Montana if:
  • You have been legally declared "mentally incompetent" by a court
  • You are in prison or detention or jail or penal institution
Service members and their dependents may register and request a ballot using the federal voter registration/ballot request form ("FPCA"). You will have the following identification options when completing the form:
  • U.S. State or Territory or District Issued ID
  • Option to Indicate that you do not have the Requested ID
  • Last 4 Digits of your Social Security Number
U.S. citizens living abroad have the right to vote as absentee voters, provided they are eligible to vote in their state. If you are living outside of the U.S. permanently, indefinitely, or temporarily, your voting rights stay with you, even if you never voted when you lived in the U.S. To vote from overseas:
  • Complete and send an overseas voter registration/ballot request form to your election office in the U.S. This is one specific form that will register you as an overseas voter and request your absentee ballot – simultaneously.

Can I vote if I have a record?

 Individuals incarcerated for a felony conviction are ineligible to vote. Voting rights are automatically restored upon release from prison, and people on parole or probation can vote. Ex-offenders should re-register to vote.

I am a college student. Where do I register to vote?

Students who lived in Montana prior to attending school and who wish to establish or keep their Montana voting residency (i.e., at their parents’ address), should have no problem doing so unless they have already registered to vote in another state. The website of the Secretary of State states plainly that students who live at school can choose whether to register at home or at school.

Will I need ID?

To register to vote in Montana you should provide one of the following:
  • The Last Four Digits of your Social Security Number
  • Your Montana Driver's License Number
  • Your Montana ID Number
If you do not have any of these IDs, you can provide a copy of one of the following with your registration application:
  • Valid Photo ID
  • Government Issued Document that shows your current name and address
  • Utility Bill
  • Government Check
  • Bank Statement
  • Paycheck that Shows your current name and address
If you are registered to vote in Montana, you are required to show ID to vote; or, you may instead sign an affidavit or similar document. Accepted forms of ID include:
  • Valid Montana Driver's License
  • Montana Personal ID
If you do not have an ID from the above list, in Montana additional, acceptable forms of ID include:
  • Current Utility Bill
  • Paycheck that Shows your Name and Address
  • A Government Issued Document that shows your Current Name and Address
  • Bank Statement
  • Government Check
  • Voter notification or confirmation card

The info on this page is for:

Montana Voter Info

If you want info for a different state or U.S. territory, go here