New York Voter Info

The general election is Nov 3, 2020
New York, here’s all the info you need to know!

The Rona will not pause the revolution. Get the facts.

Important Dates to know, new york!

New Voter Registration Deadline

Post received by Tue Oct 26, 2021

Absentee Ballot Request Deadline

Postmarked by Fri Oct 8, 2021

Early Voting

We're currently updating our database to include this information. Pledge to vote and you'll receive updates when this information becomes available.

Can I Vote by Mail? (Absentee)

Postmarked by Mon Nov 1, 2021
Post received by Tue Nov 9, 2021
In-Person, Received by Tue Nov 2, 2021 9:00PM EDT
Post received by Tue Oct 26, 2021
In-Person, Received by Mon Nov 1, 2021
Email, Online or Fax by Mon Oct 18, 2021

Any registered voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.

Am I eligible to register to vote?

You are able to pre-register:
  • at the age 16
You are eligible to vote in New York if you:
  • Are a U.S citizen
  • Are a resident of New York
  • Are at least 18 years old by Election Day
  • Live in the precinct where you vote for at least 30 days prior to the election
You are NOT eligible to vote in New York if:
  • You have been legally declared "mentally incompetent" by a court
  • You are registered to vote in another state
  • You are in prison or detention or jail or penal institution
Service members and their dependents may register and request a ballot using the federal voter registration/ballot request form ("FPCA"). You will have the following identification options when completing the form:
  • ID Issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
  • Option to Indicate that you do not have the Requested ID
  • Last 4 Digits of your Social Security Number
U.S. citizens living abroad have the right to vote as absentee voters, provided they are eligible to vote in their state. If you are living outside of the U.S. permanently, indefinitely, or temporarily, your voting rights stay with you, even if you never voted when you lived in the U.S. To vote from overseas:
  • Complete and send an overseas voter registration/ballot request form to your election office in the U.S. This is one specific form that will register you as an overseas voter and request your absentee ballot – simultaneously.

Can I vote if I have a record?

Individuals currently incarcerated for a felony are ineligible to vote. Voting rights are automatically restored upon release from prison, and people on parole or probation can vote. Ex-offenders should re-register to vote.

I am a college student. Where do I register to vote?

Students who lived in New York before moving elsewhere to attend school, and who wish to establish or keep their New York voting residency (i.e., at their parents’ New York address), should have no problem doing so unless they have already registered to vote in another state. Students who consider their school address their principal home and who presently intend to remain at that address for the time being should be able to establish voting residency in New York.

Will I need ID?

To register to vote in New York you should provide one of the following:
  • New York Learner's Permit
  • Last Four Digits of your Social Security Number
  • Your New York Driver's License Number
  • Your New York non-driver ID number
If you do not have any of these IDs, you can provide a copy of one of the following with your registration application:
  • Valid Photo ID
  • Government Issued Document that shows your current name and address
  • Utility Bill
  • Government Check
  • Bank Statement
  • Paycheck that Shows your Current Name and Address
If you registered to vote in New York, you may be required to present valid ID if you are voting for the first time or your registration is incomplete. You can use any ID from this list:
  • Paycheck that shows your Current Name and Address
  • Utility Bill
  • Bank Statement
  • Valid New York Driver's License
  • Government Check
  • Government Issued Document that shows your Current Name and Address

The info on this page is for:

New York Voter Info

If you want info for a different state or U.S. territory, go here