North Carolina Voter Info

The general election is Nov 3, 2020
North Carolina, here’s all the info you need to know!

The Rona will not pause the revolution. Get the facts.

Important Dates to know, North carolina!

New Voter Registration Deadline

Tue Oct 27, 2020

Absentee Ballot Request Deadline

Fri Oct 9, 2020

Early Voting

Thu Oct 15, 2020
Sat Oct 31, 2020

Can I Vote by Mail? (Absentee)

Postmarked by Tue Nov 3, 2020
Post received by Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:00PM
In-Person, Received by Tue Nov 3, 2020 5:00PM
Tue Oct 27, 2020

Any registered voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.

Am I eligible to register to vote?

You are eligible to vote in North Carolina if you:
  • Are a U.S citizen
  • Are a resident of North Carolina
  • Live in the precinct where you vote for at least 30 days prior to the election
  • at 17 years of age and provided you will be 18 by the next general election.
You are NOT eligible to vote in North Carolina if:
  • You are registered to vote in another state
  • You are on parole for a felony conviction or convicted of a felony
Restorative Requirements
  • You are a convicted felon involving moral turpitude, unless your voting rights have been restored.
Service members and their dependents may register and request a ballot using the federal voter registration/ballot request form ("FPCA"). You will have the following identification options when completing the form:
  • U.S. State or Territory or District Issued ID
  • Option to Indicate that you do not have the Requested ID
  • Last 4 Digits of your Social Security Number
U.S. citizens living abroad have the right to vote as absentee voters, provided they are eligible to vote in their state. If you are living outside of the U.S. permanently, indefinitely, or temporarily, your voting rights stay with you, even if you never voted when you lived in the U.S. To vote from overseas:
  • Complete and send an overseas voter registration/ballot request form to your election office in the U.S. This is one specific form that will register you as an overseas voter and request your absentee ballot – simultaneously.

Can I vote if I have a record?

Individuals convicted of a felony are ineligible to vote while incarcerated, on parole, or on probation. Voting rights are automatically restored upon completion of all supervised release. Ex-offenders should re-register to vote.

I am a college student. Where do I register to vote?

Students who lived in North Carolina before moving elsewhere to attend school, and who wish to establish or keep their North Carolina voting residency (i.e., at their parents’ North Carolina address), should have no problem doing so unless they have already registered to vote in another state. Students attending school in North Carolina should be able to register and vote at their school address if they meet the following requirements. North Carolina law clearly states that if you intend to make your school community your home during the time you are in school, and have no intent to move back to the address where you lived before attending school, you can claim your school community as your residence and use that address to register to vote. You do not have to intend to stay in North Carolina after graduation or have any definite plans, as long as you do not intend to return to your former home.

Will I need ID?

To register to vote in North Carolina you should provide:
  • The Last Four Digits of your Social Security Number
  • Your North Carolina Driver's License or State/non-driver ID Number
  • Your North Carolina Voter Registration Number (if known)
If you do not have any of these IDs, you can provide a copy of one of the following with your registration application:
  • Current and Valid Photo ID
  • Government Issued Document that shows your current name and address
  • Utility Bill
  • Government Check
  • Bank Statement
  • Paycheck that Shows your current name and address
Voters are currently not required to show voter ID.

    The info on this page is for:

    North Carolina Voter Info

    If you want info for a different state or U.S. territory, go here