The general election is Nov 3, 2020
South Dakota, here’s all the info you need to know!
The Rona will not pause the revolution. Get the facts.
Important Dates to know, South Dakota!
New Voter Registration Deadline
Absentee Ballot Request Deadline
Can I Vote by Mail? (Absentee)
Any registered voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.
Am I eligible to register to vote?
- Are a U.S citizen
- Are a resident of South Dakota
- Are at least 18 years old by Election Day
- You have been legally declared "mentally incompetent" by a court
- You are on parole for a felony conviction or convicted of a felony
- U.S. State or Territory or District Issued ID
- Option to Indicate that you do not have the Requested ID
- Last 4 Digits of your Social Security Number
- Complete and send an overseas voter registration/ballot request form to your election office in the U.S. This is one specific form that will register you as an overseas voter and request your absentee ballot – simultaneously.
Can I vote if I have a record?
Individuals convicted of a felony are ineligible to vote while incarcerated and on parole. Voting rights are automatically restored upon completion of parole, and people on probation can vote. Ex-offenders should re-register to vote.
I am a college student. Where do I register to vote?
Students who moved out of South Dakota to attend school elsewhere, and who intend on moving back after graduating, should not have a problem registering and voting in South Dakota. Students attending school in South Dakota should be able to register and vote at their school address if they have no current plans to move from that address.
Will I need ID?
- Your South Dakota Driver's License Number
- The Last Four Digits of your Social Security Number
- Valid Federal Issued ID
- Valid Military ID
- Valid South Dakota Driver's License
- Valid Student ID
- Valid South Dakota Non-driver's ID
- Valid Tribal ID
- Valid US Passport